As of spring 2013, people can once again relax, bathe, and restore energy. The attractive Spa links to the history of the site yet opens up a completely different world of relaxation and revival. With natural, light-flooded architecture and wonderful views and perspectives hotel guests and day visitors alike can discover a wealth of wellness/fitness options for all 5 senses, in perfect harmony with the traditions of both east and west.
Regarding the necessary total renovation of Wilerbad, Peikert (a company from Zug) developed the concept of a modern hotel complex geared to seminars. The opening of the present-day Hotel was celebrated in the spring of 1995, and since 1996 the hotel has been privately owned by the family of Rainer Peikert. With daughter Simona Segantini-Peikert on board, the next generation is committed to the future success of this hotel, so rich in tradition, and its historical Spa.
A changeful history followed with its highs and lows, until, in 1927, Moritz Rogger took over and completely renovated the Spa, step by step developing the hotel. The hotel positively flourished in the period after the Second World War. Especially popular were weddings, and even the military contributed to its commercial success. However the sulphur bath ran dry and was forgotten.
In 1843, Johann Kaspar Jakober, a practising doctor, took over the running of the spa until 1881, unfortunately with ever decreasing success – despite the development of the main access road. After his death some years later, it was his daughter who turned the Spa into a public inn, gaining a dubious reputation in the process. The church council ordered that card games be forbidden at Wilerbad, and only cider and branz were allowed to be served.
The first documented reference of sulphur baths at Wilen was as early as 1605, however it’s origins go back many years before that. In 1687, with the promise of financial backing, the owner at the time was asked by the authorities to build housing over the sulphur bath. In 1819 a new bathing hut was constructed and the spring water was freshly sourced. Thereby, Wilerbad was finally recognised as a Spa establishment with room for about 200 guests, who used to spend the night on leaf sacks. For treatments, four bathing cabinets stood on the first floor, and several bath “cupboards” in the cellar. Access was through a narrow, bumpy track. Guests had to make their own way on foot, or be carried by sedan chair.